- Mathematical Gymnastics
- Media Item from “Haaretz” Today: “For the first time ever…”
- Jim Geelen, Bert Gerards, and Geoﬀ Whittle Solved Rota’s Conjecture on Matroids
- Media items on David, Amnon, and Nathan
- Next Week in Jerusalem: Special Day on Quantum PCP, Quantum Codes, Simplicial Complexes and Locally Testable Codes
- Happy Birthday Ervin, János, Péter, and Zoli!
- My Mathematical Dialogue with Jürgen Eckhoff
- Test Your Intuition (23): How Many Women?
- Happy Birthday Richard Stanley!
Top Posts & Pages
- The Kadison-Singer Conjecture has beed Proved by Adam Marcus, Dan Spielman, and Nikhil Srivastava
- Media Item from "Haaretz" Today: "For the first time ever..."
- Mathematical Gymnastics
- Believing that the Earth is Round When it Matters
- Two Math Riddles
- Why Quantum Computers Cannot Work: The Movie!
- The Ultimate Riddle
- New Ramanujan Graphs!
- Polymath 8 - a Success!
Monthly Archives: September 2008
. Shattering Let us return to extremal problems for families of sets and describe several basic theorems and basic open problems. In the next part we will discuss a nice proof technique called “shifting” or “compression.” The Sauer-Shelah (-Perles -Vapnik-Chervonenkis) Lemma: (Here we write .) … Continue reading
] Yale, New Haven I am back in New Haven which have become my home away from home in the last five years. Cappuccino’S and more – Cedar cross Congress, New Haven. Not only that this name is similar … Continue reading
“Start counting her NUMBER OF FACES,” Kimmo Eriksson, Brush up your Björner (2008). The time is right to annotate Kimmo Eriksson’s memorable poem: 1. What are Chip firing games? Many women will find it admirable if you tell her she … Continue reading
6. First subexponential bounds. Proposition 1: How to prove it: This is easy to prove: Given two sets and in our family , we first find a path of the form where, and . We let with and consider the family … Continue reading
Let us consider another strategy to deal with our diameter problem. Let us try to associate other graphs to our family of sets. Recall that we consider a family of subsets of size of the set . Let us now associate … Continue reading
3. What we will do in this post and and in future posts We will now try all sorts of ideas to give good upper bounds for the abstract diameter problem that we described. As we explained, such bounds apply … Continue reading
I just heard the terrible news that Oded Schramm was killed in a hiking accident. Oded was hiking on Guye Peak near Snoqualmie Pass near Seattle. This is a terrible loss to Oded’s family, and our hearts and thoughts are … Continue reading
Correlation and Cooperation In our spring school devoted to Arrow’s economics, Menahem Yaari gave a talk entitled “correlation and cooperation.” It was about games as a model of people’s behavior, and Yaari made the following points: It is an empirical fact … Continue reading