- Mathematical Gymnastics
- Media Item from “Haaretz” Today: “For the first time ever…”
- Jim Geelen, Bert Gerards, and Geoﬀ Whittle Solved Rota’s Conjecture on Matroids
- Media items on David, Amnon, and Nathan
- Next Week in Jerusalem: Special Day on Quantum PCP, Quantum Codes, Simplicial Complexes and Locally Testable Codes
- Happy Birthday Ervin, János, Péter, and Zoli!
- My Mathematical Dialogue with Jürgen Eckhoff
- Test Your Intuition (23): How Many Women?
- Happy Birthday Richard Stanley!
Top Posts & Pages
- Believing that the Earth is Round When it Matters
- The Kadison-Singer Conjecture has beed Proved by Adam Marcus, Dan Spielman, and Nikhil Srivastava
- When It Rains It Pours
- Media Item from "Haaretz" Today: "For the first time ever..."
- Polymath 8 - a Success!
- Why Quantum Computers Cannot Work: The Movie!
- Aaronson and Arkhipov's Result on Hierarchy Collapse
- Polymath 3: Polynomial Hirsch Conjecture
- The Polynomial Hirsch Conjecture: A proposal for Polymath3
Monthly Archives: October 2008
Malawi Here are two additional sectionettes from my “Notices of the AMS” book review entitled “Economic and Common Sense” on Steven Landsburg’s book “More Sex is Safe Sex – the unconventional wisdom of economics”. Both sectionettes deal with Government intervention in economics. The first is about fertilizer … Continue reading
Usually I am not particularly good at telling math riddles or solving them, and I was not planning on presenting math riddles here. But these days, when mathematical blogs break new ground and enter uncharted territories, let me make an exception and tell you … Continue reading
This post collects some brief philosophical thoughts about mathematics that appeared as part of my paper “Combinatorics with a geometric flavor: some examples,” from the proceedings of the conference “Vision in Mathematics, towards 2000.” I added two small items (the first and … Continue reading
Compression We describe now a nice proof technique called “shifting” or “compression” and mention a few more problems. The Sauer-Shelah Lemma: Let . Recall that a family shatters a set if for every there is such that … Continue reading
Do you miss New York City? Here is something to remind you click here click also here (video) One more time? Click here. London lovers, however, say that this is nothing compared to