- Next Week in Jerusalem: Special Day on Quantum PCP, Quantum Codes, Simplicial Complexes and Locally Testable Codes
- Happy Birthday Ervin, János, Péter, and Zoli!
- My Mathematical Dialogue with Jürgen Eckhoff
- Test Your Intuition (23): How Many Women?
- Happy Birthday Richard Stanley!
- Influence, Threshold, and Noise
- Erdős Lectures 2014 – Dan Spielman
- Answer to Test Your Intuition (22)
- Test your intuition (22): Selling Two Items in a Bundle.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Kadison-Singer Conjecture has beed Proved by Adam Marcus, Dan Spielman, and Nikhil Srivastava
- Believing that the Earth is Round When it Matters
- Polymath 8 - a Success!
- Another Forgotten Bet: Is Don Zagier About to Owe Me 1000 Shekels For The Proof of the ABC Conjecture?
- Why Quantum Computers Cannot Work: The Movie!
- Navier-Stokes Fluid Computers
- The Ultimate Riddle
- Five Open Problems Regarding Convex Polytopes
- Why is Mathematics Possible: Tim Gowers's Take on the Matter
Monthly Archives: August 2009
Here is a link to Igor Pak’s book on Discrete and Polyhedral Geometry (free download) . And here is just the table of contents. It is a wonderful book, full of gems, contains original look on many important directions, things that … Continue reading
Click on the picture if you wish to read about the “Mars effect” A) You want to test the theory that people who were born close to noon on July 7 are unusually tall. You choose randomly 100 Norwegian men over 25 years old and discover … Continue reading
This post is devoted to the polymath-proposal about the polynomial Hirsch conjecture. My intention is to start here a discussion thread on the problem and related problems. (Perhaps identifying further interesting related problems and research directions.) Earlier posts are: The polynomial Hirsch … Continue reading
After two long and interesting discussion threads polymath4, devoted to finding deterministically large prime numbers, is on its way on the polymath blog.
Consider a set of agents and a directed graph where an edge means that agent supports or trusts agent . We wish to choose a subset of size of trustworthy agents. Each agent’s first priority is to be included in … Continue reading
We had just come back to Israel from Palo Alto after spending a sabbatical year there and my child was starting school. I walked down with him to wait for the school bus. To my great surprise it was a yellow school … Continue reading
Here is an answer to “Test your intuition (8)”. (Essentially the answer posed by David Eppstein.) (From Wolfram Mathworld) Buffon’s needle problem asks to find the probability that a needle of length will land on a line, given a floor … Continue reading