- Amazing: Stefan Glock, Daniela Kühn, Allan Lo, and Deryk Osthus give a new proof for Keevash’s Theorem. And more news on designs.
- The US Elections and Nate Silver: Informtion Aggregation, Noise Sensitivity, HEX, and Quantum Elections.
- Avifest live streaming
- AlexFest: 60 Faces of Groups
- Postoctoral Positions with Karim and Other Announcements!
- AviFest, AviStories and Amazing Cash Prizes.
- Polymath 10 post 6: The Erdos-Rado sunflower conjecture, and the Turan (4,3) problem: homological approaches.
- Polymath 10 Emergency Post 5: The Erdos-Szemeredi Sunflower Conjecture is Now Proven.
Top Posts & Pages
- Answer: Lord Kelvin, The Age of the Earth, and the Age of the Sun
- Amazing: Stefan Glock, Daniela Kühn, Allan Lo, and Deryk Osthus give a new proof for Keevash's Theorem. And more news on designs.
- יופיה של המתמטיקה
- Sarkaria's Proof of Tverberg's Theorem 1
- The Quantum Computer Puzzle @ Notices of the AMS
- Emmanuel Abbe: Erdal Arıkan's Polar Codes
- Believing that the Earth is Round When it Matters
- 'Gina Says'
- A Breakthrough by Maryna Viazovska Leading to the Long Awaited Solutions for the Densest Packing Problem in Dimensions 8 and 24
Monthly Archives: June 2012
The following post was kindly contributed by Eyal Sulganik from IDC (Interdiciplinary Center) Herzliya. Eyal was motivated by our poll on certainty “beyond a reasonable doubt,” which is related to several issues in accounting. Mathematicians, I believe, are always looking … Continue reading
The Birthday and Diamond Jubilee Honours 2012 was released on 16 June 2012 in the United Kingdom and Tim Gowers was knighted for “services to mathematics”! So I suppose Tim is now becoming “Sir William.” It is possible that the Queen mainly … Continue reading
(Motivated by two questions from Gowers’s How should mathematics be taught to non mathematicians.)
A new Polymath7 project proposed by Chris Evans is starting in the polymath blog.
Celebrations in Bar-Ilan, HU, and the Technion; A new blog: Windows on Theory; Turing’s celebration on “In Theory”; Graph Limits in Princeton
Last monday we had the annual meeting of the Israeli Mathematical Union (IMU) that took place this year in Bar-Ilan University in Ramat Gan. (IMU is famously also the acronym of the International Mathematical Union but in this post IMU will stand for “Isreali Mathematical Union.”) … Continue reading