- Reflections: On the Occasion of Ron Adin’s and Yuval Roichman’s Birthdays, and FPSAC 2021
- ICM 2018 Rio (5) Assaf Naor, Geordie Williamson and Christian Lubich
- Test your intuition 47: AGC-GTC-TGC-GTC-TGC-GAC-GATC-? what comes next in the sequence?
- Cheerful news in difficult times: Richard Stanley wins the Steele Prize for lifetime achievement!
- Combinatorial Theory is Born
- To cheer you up in difficult times 34: Ringel Circle Problem solved by James Davies, Chaya Keller, Linda Kleist, Shakhar Smorodinsky, and Bartosz Walczak
- Good Codes papers are on the arXiv
- To cheer you up in difficult times 33: Deep learning leads to progress in knot theory and on the conjecture that Kazhdan-Lusztig polynomials are combinatorial.
- The Logarithmic Minkowski Problem
Top Posts & Pages
- Navier-Stokes Fluid Computers
- The Intermediate Value Theorem Applied to Football
- TYI 30: Expected number of Dice throws
- Believing that the Earth is Round When it Matters
- To Cheer You Up in Difficult Times 31: Federico Ardila's Four Axioms for Cultivating Diversity
- Amazing: Karim Adiprasito proved the g-conjecture for spheres!
- 'Gina Says'
- To cheer you up in difficult times 27: A major recent "Lean" proof verification
- Happy Birthday Richard Stanley!
Monthly Archives: August 2020
Enjoy! To cheer you up in difficult times here are songs by Sabine Hossenfelder and by Tom Lehrer. I like the music and lyrics and the unusual combination of science, humor and satire. Sabine Hossenfelder : Outer space* Tom Lehrer: … Continue reading
For the previous post “quantum matters” click here. Noam D. Elkies piano improvisations Every day since March 27, 2020 Noam Elkies (Noam’s home page) uploaded a new piece of piano improvisation. The Hebrew title of his page is “Music will … Continue reading
A comparison between the Google estimator U for the fidelity and two improved estimators that we studied MLE (maximum likelihood estimator) and V (a variant of U). (More figures at the end of the post.) Here are some links on … Continue reading
To cheer you up in difficult times 9: Alexey Pokrovskiy proved that Rota’s Basis Conjecture holds asymptotically
Pokrovskiy’s startling morning rainbow Rota’s Basis Conjecture holds asymptotically, by Alexey Pokrovskiy Abstract: Rota’s Basis Conjecture is a well known problem from matroid theory, that states that for any collection of n bases in a rank n matroid, it is … Continue reading
To Cheer you up in Difficult Times 8: Nathan Keller and Ohad Klein Proved Tomaszewski’s Conjecture on Randomly Signed Sums
Today we talk about the paper, Proof of Tomaszewski’s Conjecture on Randomly Signed Sums, by Nathan Keller and Ohad Klein. Consider a unit vector That is . Consider all () signed sums where each is either 1 or -1. Theorem … Continue reading