- Call for nominations for the Ostrowski Prize 2017
- Problems for Imre Bárány’s Birthday!
- Twelves short videos about members of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Victoria
- Jozsef Solymosi is Giving the 2017 Erdős Lectures in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science
- Updates (belated) Between New Haven, Jerusalem, and Tel-Aviv
- Oded Goldreich Fest
- The Race to Quantum Technologies and Quantum Computers (Useful Links)
- Around the Garsia-Stanley’s Partitioning Conjecture
- My Answer to TYI- 28
Top Posts & Pages
- Answer: Lord Kelvin, The Age of the Earth, and the Age of the Sun
- Is Mathematics a Science?
- The Kadison-Singer Conjecture has beed Proved by Adam Marcus, Dan Spielman, and Nikhil Srivastava
- A Breakthrough by Maryna Viazovska Leading to the Long Awaited Solutions for the Densest Packing Problem in Dimensions 8 and 24
- Mind Boggling: Following the work of Croot, Lev, and Pach, Jordan Ellenberg settled the cap set problem!
- My Quantum Debate with Aram Harrow: Timeline, Non-technical Highlights, and Flashbacks I
- Greatest Hits
- Why Quantum Computers Cannot Work: The Movie!
- Ehud Friedgut: Blissful ignorance and the Kahneman-Tversky paradox
Category Archives: Combinatorics
Three Conferences: Joel Spencer, April 29-30, Courant; Joel Hass May 20-22, Berkeley, Jean Bourgain May 21-24, IAS, Princeton
Dear all, I would like to advertise three promising-to-be wonderful mathematical conferences in the very near future. Quick TYI. See if you can guess the title and speaker for a lecture described by “where the mathematics of Cauchy, Fourier, Sobolev, … Continue reading
(Thanks, Dani!) Given a random sequence , ******, , let . and assume that . What is the probability that the maximum value of is attained only for a single value of ? Test your intuition: is this probability bounded … Continue reading
A Breakthrough by Maryna Viazovska Leading to the Long Awaited Solutions for the Densest Packing Problem in Dimensions 8 and 24
Maryna Viazovska The news Maryna Viazovska has solved the densest packing problem in dimension eight! Subsequently, Maryna Viazovska with Henry Cohn, Steve Miller, Abhinav Kumar, and Danilo Radchenko solved the densest packing problem in 24 dimensions! Here are the links to … Continue reading
It is time for a new polymath10 post on the Erdos-Rado Sunflower Conjecture. (Here are the links for post1, post2, post3.) Let me summarize the discussion from Post 3 and we can discuss together what directions to peruse. It is … Continue reading
Update (Jan 21) j) Polymath11 (?) Tim Gowers’s proposed a polymath project on Frankl’s conjecture. If it will get off the ground we will have (with polymath10) two projects running in parallel which is very nice. (In the comments Jon Awbrey gave … Continue reading
The main purpose of this post is to start a new research thread for Polymath 10 dealing with the Erdos-Rado Sunflower problem. (Here are links to post 2 and post 1.) Here is a very quick review of where we … Continue reading
We launched polymath10 a week ago and it is time for the second post. In this post I will remind the readers what the Erdos-Rado Conjecture and the Erdos-Rado theorem are, briefly mention some points made in the previous post and in … Continue reading
The purpose of this post is to start the polymath10 project. It is one of the nine projects (project 3d) proposed by Tim Gowers in his post “possible future polymath projects”. The plan is to attack Erdos-Rado delta system conjecture also known as the … Continue reading
I am happy to report on two beautiful results on convex polytopes. One disproves an old conjecture of mine and one proves an old conjecture of mine. Loiskekoski and Ziegler: Simple polytopes without small separators. Does Lipton-Tarjan’s theorem extends to high … Continue reading
The purpose of this short but valuable post is to bring to your attention Igor Pak’s Collection of Combinatorics Videos