- To cheer you up in difficult times 6: Play Rani Sharim’s two-player games of life, read Maya Bar-Hillel presentation on catching lies with statistics, and more.
- To cheer you up in difficult times 5: A New Elementary Proof of the Prime Number Theorem by Florian K. Richter
- To cheer you up in difficult times 4: Women In Theory present — I will survive
- To cheer you up in difficult times 3: A guest post by Noam Lifshitz on the new hypercontractivity inequality of Peter Keevash, Noam Lifshitz, Eoin Long and Dor Minzer
- Harsanyi’s Sweater
- To cheer you up in difficult times II: Mysterious matching news by Gal Beniamini, Naom Nisan, Vijay Vazirani and Thorben Tröbst!
- Trees not Cubes! Memories of Boris Tsirelson
- A small update from Israel and memories from Singapore: Partha Dasgupta, Robin Mason, Frank Ramsey, and 007
- Game Theory – on-line Course at IDC, Herzliya
Top Posts & Pages
- Dan Romik on the Riemann zeta function
- The seventeen camels riddle, and Noga Alon's camel proof and algorithms
- TYI 30: Expected number of Dice throws
- If Quantum Computers are not Possible Why are Classical Computers Possible?
- 'Gina Says'
- To cheer you up in difficult times 6: Play Rani Sharim's two-player games of life, read Maya Bar-Hillel presentation on catching lies with statistics, and more.
- The story of Poincaré and his friend the baker
- Answer: Lord Kelvin, The Age of the Earth, and the Age of the Sun
- Game Theory 2020
Category Archives: Mathematics over the Internet
A new PolyTCS blog The PolyTCS Project is a new blog to run collaborative Theoretical Computer Science projects. The initiative is by two graduate students Rupei Xu and Chloe Yang. The logo was designed by Grigory Yaroslavtsev. At this stage … Continue reading
Frankl’s conjecture asserts that a for every finite family of of finite sets that is closed under union, there is an element that belongs to at least half the sets in the family. We mentioned the problem in our very … Continue reading
I just received an advanced copy of my very first book: “Gina Says: Adventures in the Blogsphere String War” published by Word Scientific. It is a much changed version compared to the Internet version of 8 years ago and it … Continue reading
Polymath12 Timothy Chow launched polymath12 devoted to the Rota Basis conjecture on the polymathblog. A classic paper on the subject is the 1989 paper by Rosa Huang and Gian Carlo-Rota. Let me mention a strong version of Rota’s conjecture (Conjecture … Continue reading
Polymath 10 post 6: The Erdos-Rado sunflower conjecture, and the Turan (4,3) problem: homological approaches.
In earlier posts I proposed a homological approach to the Erdos-Rado sunflower conjecture. I will describe again this approach in the second part of this post. Of course, discussion of other avenues for the study of the conjecture are welcome. The purpose … Continue reading
David Conlon pointed out to two remarkable papers that appeared on the arxive: Joel Moreira solves an old problem in Ramsey’s theory. Monochromatic sums and products in . Abstract: An old question in Ramsey theory asks whether any finite coloring … Continue reading
It is time for a new polymath10 post on the Erdos-Rado Sunflower Conjecture. (Here are the links for post1, post2, post3.) Let me summarize the discussion from Post 3 and we can discuss together what directions to peruse. It is … Continue reading
Update (Jan 21) j) Polymath11 (?) Tim Gowers’s proposed a polymath project on Frankl’s conjecture. If it will get off the ground we will have (with polymath10) two projects running in parallel which is very nice. (In the comments Jon Awbrey gave … Continue reading
The main purpose of this post is to start a new research thread for Polymath 10 dealing with the Erdos-Rado Sunflower problem. (Here are links to post 2 and post 1.) Here is a very quick review of where we … Continue reading
Updates (May 2014): The second MO contributor to answer 1000 questions is another distinguished mathematician (and a friend) Igor Rivin. In summer 2015 David Speyer joined the club. (May 2018) Igor is the first MO user to have 2000 posts (Questions+Answers)! … Continue reading