- To cheer you up in difficult times 6: Play Rani Sharim’s two-player games of life, read Maya Bar-Hillel presentation on catching lies with statistics, and more.
- To cheer you up in difficult times 5: A New Elementary Proof of the Prime Number Theorem by Florian K. Richter
- To cheer you up in difficult times 4: Women In Theory present — I will survive
- To cheer you up in difficult times 3: A guest post by Noam Lifshitz on the new hypercontractivity inequality of Peter Keevash, Noam Lifshitz, Eoin Long and Dor Minzer
- Harsanyi’s Sweater
- To cheer you up in difficult times II: Mysterious matching news by Gal Beniamini, Naom Nisan, Vijay Vazirani and Thorben Tröbst!
- Trees not Cubes! Memories of Boris Tsirelson
- A small update from Israel and memories from Singapore: Partha Dasgupta, Robin Mason, Frank Ramsey, and 007
- Game Theory – on-line Course at IDC, Herzliya
Top Posts & Pages
- Game Theory 2020
- 'Gina Says'
- TYI 30: Expected number of Dice throws
- The seventeen camels riddle, and Noga Alon's camel proof and algorithms
- Dan Romik on the Riemann zeta function
- To cheer you up in difficult times 6: Play Rani Sharim's two-player games of life, read Maya Bar-Hillel presentation on catching lies with statistics, and more.
- Scott Triumphs* at the Shtetl
- The story of Poincaré and his friend the baker
- Answer: Lord Kelvin, The Age of the Earth, and the Age of the Sun
Category Archives: Probability
This is a guest post kindly contributed by Noam Lifshitz. My short introduction: There is nothing like a new hypercontractivity inequality to cheer you up in difficult times and this post describes an amazing new hypercontractivity inequality. The post describes … Continue reading
This post is devoted to a few memories of Boris Tsirelson who passed away at the end of January. I would like to mention that a few days ago graph theorist Robin Thomas passed away after long battle with ALS. … Continue reading
Remarkable New Stochastic Methods in ABF: Ronen Eldan and Renan Gross Found a New Proof for KKL and Settled a Conjecture by Talagrand
The main conjecture from Talagrand’s paper on boundaries and influences was settled by Ronen Eldan and Renan Gross. Their paper introduces a new powerful method to the field of analysis of Boolean functions (ABF). This post is devoted to … Continue reading
Hoi Nguyen and Melanie Wood: Remarkable Formulas for the Probability that Projections of Lattices are Surjective
Following a lecture by Hoi Nguyen at Oberwolfach, I would like to tell you a little about the paper: Random integral matrices: universality of surjectivity and the cokernel by Hoi Nguyen and Melanie Wood. Two background questions: Hoi started with … Continue reading
In the community of mamathetitians in a certain country there are mamathetitians in two areas: Anabra (fraction p of the mamathetitians) and Algasis (fraction 1-p of mamathetitians.) There are ten universities with 50 faculty members in each mamathetics department … Continue reading
TYI 41: How many steps does it take for a simple random walk on the discrete cube to reach the uniform distribution?
Aeiel Yadin’s homepage contains great lecture notes on harmonic functions on groups and on various other topics. I have a lot of things to discuss and to report; exciting developments in the analysis of Boolean functions; much to report on … Continue reading
Amazing! Keith Frankston, Jeff Kahn, Bhargav Narayanan, Jinyoung Park: Thresholds versus fractional expectation-thresholds
This post describes a totally unexpected breakthrough about expectation and thresholds. The result by Frankston, Kahn, Narayanan, and Park has many startling applications and it builds on the recent breakthrough work of Alweiss, Lovett, Wu and Zhang on the sunflower … Continue reading
Update: After the embargo update (Oct 25): Now that I have some answers from the people involved let me make a quick update: 1) I still find the paper unconvincing, specifically, the few verifiable experiments (namely experiments that can be … Continue reading
The artist behind Alef’s corner has a few mathematical designs and here are two new ones. (See Alef’s website offering over 100 T-shirt designs.) which was used for the official T-shirt for Jean-François Le Gall’s birthday conference. See also … Continue reading
Let me report today on a major breakthrough in random graph theory and probabilistic combinatorics. Congratulations to Matan, Frank, and Vojtek! Artist: Heidi Buck. “Catch a Dragon by the Tail 2” ( source ) Upper tails via high moments and entropic … Continue reading