- Test Your Intuition about the Alon-Tarsi Conjecture
- Thilo Weinert: Transfinite Ramsey Numbers
- Timothy Chow Launched Polymath12 on Rota Basis Conjecture and Other News
- Proof By Lice!
- The seventeen camels riddle, and Noga Alon’s camel proof and algorithms
- Edmund Landau and the Early Days of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Boolean Functions: Influence, Threshold, and Noise
- Laci Babai Visits Israel!
- Polymath10 conclusion
Top Posts & Pages
- Answer: Lord Kelvin, The Age of the Earth, and the Age of the Sun
- Extremal Combinatorics IV: Shifting
- Why are Planar Graphs so Exceptional
- The seventeen camels riddle, and Noga Alon's camel proof and algorithms
- Extremal Combinatorics III: Some Basic Theorems
- Believing that the Earth is Round When it Matters
- The Kadison-Singer Conjecture has beed Proved by Adam Marcus, Dan Spielman, and Nikhil Srivastava
- 'Gina Says'
- Analysis of Boolean Functions
Category Archives: Updates
David Conlon pointed out to two remarkable papers that appeared on the arxive: Joel Moreira solves an old problem in Ramsey’s theory. Monochromatic sums and products in . Abstract: An old question in Ramsey theory asks whether any finite coloring … Continue reading
Here is the abstract of a recent paper by Andrew Suk. (I heard about it from a Facebook post by Yufei Zhao. I added a link to the original Erdős Szekeres’s paper.) Let ES(n) be the smallest integer such that … Continue reading
The Quantum Computer Puzzle My paper “the quantum computer puzzle” has just appeared in the May 2016 issue of Notices of the AMS. Here are the beautiful drawings for the paper (representing the “optimistic view” and the “pessimistic view”) by my … Continue reading
Three Conferences: Joel Spencer, April 29-30, Courant; Joel Hass May 20-22, Berkeley, Jean Bourgain May 21-24, IAS, Princeton
Dear all, I would like to advertise three promising-to-be wonderful mathematical conferences in the very near future. Quick TYI. See if you can guess the title and speaker for a lecture described by “where the mathematics of Cauchy, Fourier, Sobolev, … Continue reading
Between 11-15 of September 2016 there will be a special mathematical workshop for excellent undergraduate students at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. In parallel there will also be a workshop in physics. These workshops are aimed for second and third … Continue reading
A Breakthrough by Maryna Viazovska Leading to the Long Awaited Solutions for the Densest Packing Problem in Dimensions 8 and 24
Maryna Viazovska The news Maryna Viazovska has solved the densest packing problem in dimension eight! Subsequently, Maryna Viazovska with Henry Cohn, Steve Miller, Abhinav Kumar, and Danilo Radchenko solved the densest packing problem in 24 dimensions! Here are the links to … Continue reading
Update (Jan 21) j) Polymath11 (?) Tim Gowers’s proposed a polymath project on Frankl’s conjecture. If it will get off the ground we will have (with polymath10) two projects running in parallel which is very nice. (In the comments Jon Awbrey gave … Continue reading
Update on the great Noga’s Formulas competition. (Link to the original post, many cash prizes are still for grab!) This is the third “Updates and plans post”. The first one was from 2008 and the second one from 2011. Updates: Combinatorics and … Continue reading
Ladies and gentlemen, a conference celebrating Noga Alon’s 60th birthday is coming on January. It will take place at Tel Aviv University on January 17-21. Here is the event webpage. Don’t miss the event ! Cash Prizes! The poster includes 15 … Continue reading
My beloved mother Carmella Kalai passed away last week. With me, 1956 My father Hanoch Kalai, my mother Carmella, My sister Tamar (Tami) and me around 1957).