- Amazing: Stefan Glock, Daniela Kühn, Allan Lo, and Deryk Osthus give a new proof for Keevash’s Theorem. And more news on designs.
- The US Elections and Nate Silver: Informtion Aggregation, Noise Sensitivity, HEX, and Quantum Elections.
- Avifest live streaming
- AlexFest: 60 Faces of Groups
- Postoctoral Positions with Karim and Other Announcements!
- AviFest, AviStories and Amazing Cash Prizes.
- Polymath 10 post 6: The Erdos-Rado sunflower conjecture, and the Turan (4,3) problem: homological approaches.
- Polymath 10 Emergency Post 5: The Erdos-Szemeredi Sunflower Conjecture is Now Proven.
Top Posts & Pages
- Answer: Lord Kelvin, The Age of the Earth, and the Age of the Sun
- A Breakthrough by Maryna Viazovska Leading to the Long Awaited Solutions for the Densest Packing Problem in Dimensions 8 and 24
- Amazing: Stefan Glock, Daniela Kühn, Allan Lo, and Deryk Osthus give a new proof for Keevash's Theorem. And more news on designs.
- יופיה של המתמטיקה
- Believing that the Earth is Round When it Matters
- Emmanuel Abbe: Erdal Arıkan's Polar Codes
- The Quantum Computer Puzzle @ Notices of the AMS
- Sarkaria's Proof of Tverberg's Theorem 1
- AlexFest: 60 Faces of Groups
Category Archives: Updates
Today is the general election day in Israel, the third since starting this blog (I-2009,and II-2013). This is an exciting day. For me election is about participation much more than it is about influence and I try not to miss it. … Continue reading
זו הפעם החמש-עשרה שבה אצביע והפעם השלישית שאנו נמצאים לפני בחירות מאז שהתחלתי בכתיבת הבלוג. בעבר לא הבעתי בפומבי את הבחירה האישית שלי. עבורי יום הבחירות הוא יום חג, ההכרעות בין תפיסות עולם ואינטרסים מנוגדים אינן קלות, ויש דרכים שונות, … Continue reading
With Ilan, my four month old grandson
The topological Tverberg conjecture (discussed in this post), a holy grail of topological combinatorics, was refuted! The three-page paper “Counterexamples to the topological Tverberg conjecture” by Florian Frick gives a brilliant proof that the conjecture is false. The proof is … Continue reading
Tahl Nowik Update 3 (January 30): The midrasha ended today. Update 2 (January 28): additional videos are linked; Update 1 (January 23): Today we end the first week of the school. David Streurer and Peter Keevash completed … Continue reading
Scott Aaronson wrote a new post on the Shtetl Optimized** reflecting on the previous thread (that I referred to in my post on Amy’s triumph), and on reactions to this thread. The highlight is a list of nine of Scott’s … Continue reading
Ilya Rips and me during Ilyafest last week (picture Itai Benjamini) Ilya Rips Birthday Conference Last week we had here a celebration for Ilya Rips’ birthday. Ilya is an extraordinary mathematician with immense influence on algebra and topology. There were … Continue reading
We are now starting the third week of the academic year at HUJI. As usual, things are very hectic, a lot of activities in the mathematics department, in our sister CS department, around in the campus, and in our combinatorics … Continue reading
The 18th yearly school in mathematics is devoted this year to combinatorics. It will feature lecture series by Irit Dinur, Joel Hass, Peter Keevash, Alexandru Nica, Alexander Postnikov, Wojciech Samotij, and David Streurer and additional activities. As usual grants … Continue reading
Maryam Mirzakhani received the medal from South Korea’s president Park Geun-hye. Here is an article from today’s Israeli newspaper Haaretz. It is based on this article by the Guardian (Thanks, Manor!). See also this post on Laba’s accidental mathematician and John Baez’ … Continue reading