- Alef Corner: Math Collaboration
- Alef’s Corner: Math Collaboration 2
- To cheer you up in difficult times 11: Immortal Songs by Sabine Hossenfelder and by Tom Lehrer
- To cheer you up in difficult times 10: Noam Elkies’ Piano Improvisations and more
- Quantum Matters
- To cheer you up in difficult times 9: Alexey Pokrovskiy proved that Rota’s Basis Conjecture holds asymptotically
- To Cheer you up in Difficult Times 8: Nathan Keller and Ohad Klein Proved Tomaszewski’s Conjecture on Randomly Signed Sums
- Noam Lifshitz: A new hypercontractivity inequality — The proof!
- To cheer you up in difficult times 7: Bloom and Sisask just broke the logarithm barrier for Roth’s theorem!
Top Posts & Pages
- TYI 30: Expected number of Dice throws
- Quantum Matters
- Gil's Collegial Quantum Supremacy Skepticism FAQ
- To Cheer you up in Difficult Times 8: Nathan Keller and Ohad Klein Proved Tomaszewski's Conjecture on Randomly Signed Sums
- Answer: Lord Kelvin, The Age of the Earth, and the Age of the Sun
- A sensation in the morning news - Yaroslav Shitov: Counterexamples to Hedetniemi's conjecture.
- Elchanan Mossel's Amazing Dice Paradox (your answers to TYI 30)
- Hoi Nguyen and Melanie Wood: Remarkable Formulas for the Probability that Projections of Lattices are Surjective
- A Breakthrough by Maryna Viazovska Leading to the Long Awaited Solutions for the Densest Packing Problem in Dimensions 8 and 24
Monthly Archives: March 2020
Game theory, a graduate course at IDC, Herzliya; Lecturer: Gil Kalai; TA: Einat Wigderson, ZOOM mentor: Ethan. Starting Tuesday March 31, I am giving an on-line course (in Hebrew) on Game theory at IDC, Herzliya (IDC English site; IDC Chinese … Continue reading
“The argument is carried out not in mathematical symbols but in ordinary English, there is no obscure or technical terms. Knowledge of calculus is not presupposed. In fact, one hardly need to know how to count. Yet any mathematician will … Continue reading
Let me briefly report on a remarkable new paper by Esty Kelman, Guy Kindler, Noam Lifshitz, Dor Minzer, and Muli Safra, Revisiting Bourgain-Kalai and Fourier Entropies. The paper describes substantial progress towards the Entropy-Influence conjecture, posed by Ehud Friedgut and … Continue reading
Update (June 3, 2020): The paper New bounds on the density of lattice coverings is now on the arXiv. Barak Weiss lectured about his breakthrough results with Or Ordentlich, and Oded Regev, at a Simons Institute workshop: Lattices: Geometry, Algorithms and … Continue reading
To cheer you up in complicated times – A book proof by Rom Pinchasi and Alexandr Polyanskii for a 1978 Conjecture by Erdős and Purdy!
Things do not look that good, and these are difficult times. But here on the blog we have plenty of things to cheer you up and assure you. And today we point to two book proofs — two book proofs … Continue reading