- Call for nominations for the Ostrowski Prize 2017
- Problems for Imre Bárány’s Birthday!
- Twelves short videos about members of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Victoria
- Jozsef Solymosi is Giving the 2017 Erdős Lectures in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science
- Updates (belated) Between New Haven, Jerusalem, and Tel-Aviv
- Oded Goldreich Fest
- The Race to Quantum Technologies and Quantum Computers (Useful Links)
- Around the Garsia-Stanley’s Partitioning Conjecture
- My Answer to TYI- 28
Top Posts & Pages
- Analysis of Boolean Functions
- Updates and plans III.
- Sarkaria's Proof of Tverberg's Theorem 2
- 'Gina Says'
- Answer: Lord Kelvin, The Age of the Earth, and the Age of the Sun
- Sarkaria's Proof of Tverberg's Theorem 1
- A Breakthrough by Maryna Viazovska Leading to the Long Awaited Solutions for the Densest Packing Problem in Dimensions 8 and 24
- Greatest Hits
- Jim Geelen, Bert Gerards, and Geoﬀ Whittle Solved Rota's Conjecture on Matroids
Category Archives: Taxi-and-other-stories
Is it possible that Cold Spring Street is as important as Canner Street? I knew Canner Street from my earlier visits to Yale but Cold Spring Street was new to me. Naturally, I assumed that Canner Street was the important … Continue reading
It gives me great pride to present: Michal Linial: March 2012 No witches in Portugal Landing in LISBOA, Portugal last night. I need to get to my hotel in Cascais. The nice lady in the tourist information ordered a … Continue reading
“Look at this brand new undershirt,” my wife said. “I am shaking it and shaking it but still I have this twist. Can you see what to do?” I gave the undershirt a good shake. And another one. And one more. And … Continue reading
We had just come back to Israel from Palo Alto after spending a sabbatical year there and my child was starting school. I walked down with him to wait for the school bus. To my great surprise it was a yellow school … Continue reading
Ulam was scheduled to give a talk at the University of Chicago titled “The future of mathematics.” Stanislaw Ulam was a rather famous mathematician and a major player in building the H-bomb, so a large audience gathered.
My idea (in my teenage years) of how to become a professional basketball player was a bit desperate. To cover for my height and my athletic (dis)abilities, I would simply practice how to shoot perfectly from every corner of the … Continue reading
Upgrade to hell Getting an upgrade to business class on a flight to Amsterdam en route to NYC seemed splendid. But I soon discovered that I was upgraded to one of the two rows for business smokers. The person on … Continue reading
Nebi Samuel It was a long night after crossing the Atlantic. I got to the airport and indeed the big signs of ‘Welcome’ and “TAAM SHEL BAIT” (taste of home) had a special appeal. It was 3:30 in the … Continue reading
Coming back from Hinxton, the most exciting genome center in the world and the most boring place after 5pm… At 5:30, a shuttle bus takes all the ‘workers’ to the big city – to Cambridge. The shuttle bus dropped us … Continue reading