- Many triangulated three-spheres!
- NatiFest is Coming
- More around Borsuk
- Analysis of Boolean Functions – Week 7
- Analysis of Boolean Functions week 5 and 6
- Real Analysis Introductory Mini-courses at Simons Institute
- Analysis of Boolean Functions – week 4
- Polymath 8 – a Success!
- Analysis of Boolean Functions – Week 3
Top Posts & Pages
- Polymath 8 - a Success!
- The Kadison-Singer Conjecture has beed Proved by Adam Marcus, Dan Spielman, and Nikhil Srivastava
- János Pach: Guth and Katz's Solution of Erdős's Distinct Distances Problem
- Analysis of Boolean Functions
- NatiFest is Coming
- Richard Stanley: How the Proof of the Upper Bound Theorem (for spheres) was Found
- Believing that the Earth is Round When it Matters
- Analysis of Boolean Functions - week 1
- Answer: Lord Kelvin, The Age of the Earth, and the Age of the Sun
Category Archives: Rationality
Another Forgotten Bet: Is Don Zagier About to Owe Me 1000 Shekels For The Proof of the ABC Conjecture?
Like everybody else I heard with great interest the news about the attempted solution of the ABC conjecture by Shinichi Mochizuki. (See, e.g., here, here, here, and here.) I did not think that this has much to with me … Continue reading
Vox populi, vox dei! Today is the general election day in Israel. This is an exciting day. For me election is about participation much more than it is about influence and I try not to miss it. This is why … Continue reading
Lenore Holditch is a freelance writer. Here is what she wrote to me: “I love learning about new topics, so I am confident that I can provide valuable content for your blog on any topic you wish, else I can … Continue reading
The following paradox was raised by Rann Smorodinsky: Rann Smorodinsky’s Privacy Paradox Suppose that you have the following one-time scenario. You want to buy a sandwich where the options are a roast beef sandwich or an avocado sandwich. Choosing … Continue reading
Here is a question from last year’s exam in the course “Basic Ideas of Mathematics”: You buy a toaster for 200 NIS ($50) and you are offered one year of insurance for 24 NIS ($6). a) Is it … Continue reading
You are guaranteed to win one of the following five prizes, the letter says. (And it is completely free! Just 6 dollars shipping and handling.) a) a high-definition huge-screen TV, b) a video camera, c) a yacht, d) a decorative … Continue reading
Can chess be a game of luck? Let us consider the following two scenarios: A) We have a chess tournament where each of forty chess players pay 50 dollars entrance fee and the winner takes the prize which is 80% … Continue reading
Well, I wrote an article (in Hebrew) about it in the Newspaper Haaretz. An English translation appeared in the English edition. Here is an appetizer: During World War II, many fighter planes returned from bombing missions in Japan full of bullet holes. The … Continue reading