Ladies and gentlemen, a conference celebrating Noga Alon’s 60th birthday is coming on January. It will take place at Tel Aviv University on January 17-21. Here is the event webpage. Don’t miss the event !
The poster includes 15 formulas representing some of Noga’s works. Can you identify them?
The first commentator to identify a formula will win a prize of 10 Israeli Shekels (ILS) that can be claimed on Noga’s Fest itself, (or else, in person, next time we meet after the meeting.) Cash prizes claimed in person on the meeting will be doubled! Cash prizes for the oldest and newest formulas are tripled! There is a limit of one answer/prize per person/ per week. Answers need to include the formula itself, tell what the formula is, and give crucial details about it.
More cash prizes!!
For each of these formulas, once identified, the comment giving the latest place where the formula is reproduced, (in a later paper or book not coauthored by any of the original discoverers) will be eligible also to 5 ILS prize. The same doubling and tripling rules as above apply. Here there is no limit on answers per person.
And even more cash prizes !!!
There will be 5 additional prizes of 20 ILS for formulas by Noga, that did not make it to the poster. Same doubling and tripling rules apply.
And Even More! Win a Travel Grant to the conference
Among all participants who are students or post docs, one grant for a round trip to the meeting will be given.
People involved in preparing the poster are not eligible.
The competition opens now!!!
And here are more details on the meeting itself. (The meeting also celebrates a decade anniversary for Zeilberger’s Opinion 71.)
- Béla Bollobás – University of Cambridge
- Jennifer Chayes – Microsoft Research
- Uri Feige – Weizmann Institute
- Jacob Fox – Stanford University
- Péter Frankl – Alfréd Rényi Inst. of Math
- Zoltán Füredi – Alfréd Rényi Inst. of Math
- Shafi Goldwasser – MIT and Weizmann Institute
- Gil Kalai – Hebrew University
- Nati Linial – Hebrew University
- László Lovász – Eötvös Loránd University
- Vitali Milman – Tel Aviv University
- Assaf Naor – Princeton University
- Jaroslav Nešetřil – Charles University
- János Pach – EPFL
- Yuval Peres – Microsoft Research
- Vojtěch Rödl – Emory University
- Peter Sarnak – Princeton University and IAS
- Alexander Schrijver – CWI Amsterdam
- Micha Sharir – Tel Aviv University
- Saharon Shelah – Hebrew/Rutgers University
- Joel Spencer – NYU
- Endre Szemerédi – Alfréd Rényi Inst. of Math
- Terence Tao – UCLA
- Moshe Tennenholtz – Technion
- Avi Wigderson – IAS
- Tamar Ziegler – Hebrew University
- Yossi Azar – Tel Aviv University
- Michael Krivelevich – Tel Aviv University
- Asaf Shapira – Tel Aviv University
- Benny Sudakov – ETH Zurich
- Uri Zwick – Tel Aviv University